This last post on prostate health gets into what we can do to protect our prostates.
We’re all starting to experience it- you bang out your weekly game of hockey or basketball and the next day are left feeling like you got hit by a bus. Maybe it’s in your low back, maybe it’s in your knees. The older we get the more of a toll exercise can take on our bodies and the more we’re going to feel it. If you’ve started to realize you aren’t 16 anymore and can’t recover the way you used to, there’s a few things you can do to help:
- Light stretching and cool down exercises after an intense workout
- Some hydrotherapy aka getting some time in the hot tub, contrasting the hot tub with dips in a cold pool, or even doing an ice bath
- Do some active recovery the next day- work the sore areas with really light exercise (don’t just sit on the couch in pain!)
- Foam roll the areas out
- Red Tart Cherry Juice! Drink this before, during or after to reduce muscle soreness
- Consume high quality protein right after the workout and try to get branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, valine) into you
Try some of these ideas out after your next game or hard workout so that you can recover faster and feel great the next day. If you’re looking for extra help, consult a naturopathic physician for some soft tissue work or specific botanical and nutritional advice.
For more information, check out the following: